HOME
Personal Charts: Top Songs | Top Recurrent Songs | Top Albums  
Follow TheTMJCharts on Twitter iTunes: Daily Global Songs | Daily Global Albums  
LEFT ALONE
THE BEAUTIFUL ONES
TRUTH SERUM

Mar 23, 2008

Snooper Duper

With the instant-classic video for "Sensual Seduction" as its lead-in, Snoop Dogg's new album, "Ego Trippin'," arrives this week Interscope. The 20-track set was executive-produced by QDT, which stands for DJ Quik, Snoop Dogg and Blackstreet's Teddy Riley.

Others who chipped in behind the boards include Terrance Martin, Raphael Saadiq, Shawty Redd, the Neptunes, Notiz, Khao, Rick Rock, Swiff D, Frequency and Whitey Ford (aka Everlast). Highlights include opener "Press Play," which samples the Isley Brothers' "Atlantis"; "Never Have to Worry," on which Snoop recounts his life story over a lush background of piano, saxophone and deep bass; and "Make It Good," which admonishes men who may be scared of commitment.

"I'm the nicest rapper in the world," Snoop declares. "But at the same time I've got that bad boy persona and I didn't really want to approach it like that this time. I wanted to make a record that felt good the whole way through as opposed to trying to make a record that was so gangsta, so hard or so 'hood-appealing. I looked at people before me to see how they went through different decades with their music. Curtis and Marvin lasted, making their same kind of music even after disco came in and then played out. With my career lasting this long, I had to start looking at the changes in music and the changes in me, seeing what's needed to stay here."

"I just want to be the Marvin Gaye of rap," he continues. "That timeless voice you love hearing all the time on epic songs. I done made you party my whole career. Now I want to see if I can get you to cry."

Source: Billboard.com

----------------
Now playing: Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
via FoxyTunes

No comments: